My deep sympathies to Charles Thomson
I was wondering about the outcome of a storm around Charles Thomson and after several days of sinister silence over that issue decided to look up the Muzikfactory2 blog. The collage picture of the journalist with some worm-like plants growing on his head as well as the name-calling taking place there did not leave me a chance to stay aside from the battle.
The third part of the serial devoted to Thomson was just enough for me to recognize the familiar feeling of disgust which up till then I had experienced only when reading the media ridiculing and harassing Michael Jackson. The style rang a familiar bell and the fact that now it is being applied to Charles Thomson immediately put me on my guard.
It is the name calling and the choice of words which attracted the attention first. The Goose that thinks he is swan, Confessions of a teenage drama queen, or a Phony and Duplicitous Pseudo “Journalist” (in quotes) talking “drivel” – is the person who is spitting all this language dirt supposed to be a Michael Jackson’s fan? Someone who endured with him the many years of malice, hatred, ridicule and spite? And who, same as Jackson really knows what it’s like to be on the scaffold?
Michael Jackson was a very soft-spoken person and this is one of the hundred reasons why we admire him so much. The most he said to his detractors was calling Tommy Mottola a devil and “go to hell’ to one of the journalists – so I doubt it very much that a true follower of Michael Jackson will apply the kind of hateful language used above to anyone at all – let alone the journalist who has started on a really serious attempt to rehabilitate Michael Jackson in the eyes of the general public. People who have had grievous experience themselves usually tend to be more tolerant, compassionate and understanding towards others…
However the person ridiculing Charles Thomson in that blog is irritably picking at the journalist for everything he does. All his words are ‘drivel’ and the two great articles in the Huffington post are shrugged off as a mere nothing. This resented me very much as my own experience on a MJ forum reminds me how we regarded each of those articles as a medicine for our common survival and as a breath of fresh air at a time when we were suffocating most: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-thomson/michael-jackson-its-time_b_482176.html
In fact the support from Charles Thomson to Michael’s fans came much earlier – when he started a blog back in June 2009 and posted dozens of articles which helped the fans to pull through the first most difficult and tearful year after Michael’s death. I clearly remember how we hang on each word from Charles Thomson and how I prayed with each successive article that he didn’t lose courage and kept doing the job … The fact that none of his truly great blog posts made their way into newspapers speaks only of the enormous difficulties with which the truth about Michael Jackson is fighting its way into the open.
It is since then that Charles Tomson’s blog has taken a proud a place in the list of my favorites – I regarded it as a safe harbor where I could always find new reliable information from a wise and understanding guy and an ardent Michael’s supporter.
That is why the sudden assault on Thomson from Muzikfactory2, Bonny Cox and other esteemed authors came as a complete thunderbolt to me.
These highly moral people now aspire to be opening our eyes to the ‘whole truth’ about the journalist by quoting several expressions from the earlier version of Charles Thomson which were probably said by him some three years ago to the effect that “MJStar is pleased to be the only major MJ forum on the web that allows discussion of MJ’s failings as well as his successes”.
Let me state it clearly here – I am not prepared to forget all the friendly, truthful and well-researched arguments Charles Thomson provided me with in the defense of Michael Jackson over a minor thing like that. I am more than satisfied with what he is writing NOW and have other important issues to attend to rather than analyze several three-year old sentences said in a context I can only wonder about.
But what I find completely unsatisfactory in the whole thing is the strange timing when these sentences have suddenly materialized from thin air and the righteous anger campaign over them suddenly started.
If Charles Thomson was such a ‘villain’ some three years ago then why should the anti-Thomson campaign start only now?
Where were these highly moral people before and how did it happen that they overlooked such villainy earlier and started on it only now that he has ‘reformed’?
Why all this agitation now though the journalist has not allowed himself a single word of doubtful nature about Michael for more than a year that we heard him speaking? To this I can testify on the Bible as all this time I’ve been studying his posts with much care (for a different purpose though). If you come to think of it we don’t even know whether he did say anything bad about Jackson at all…
And why Thomson of all the people? Have his prosecutors weighed up his ‘crimes’ in comparison with Diane Dimond’s or Bashir’s contributions or at least Tanya Gold’s, with whom Charles Thomson had an almost hand-to-hand fight over the matter of her shameless slandering Michael in the Guardian? What torture have our moral guardians prepared for these gangsters if they are treating an innocent man like Charles in such a ruthless manner over a couple of careless words?
WHAT? They are not addressing these people at all? Why, I wonder? Then could it be because Charles Thomson is so much different from these people that the prosecutors selected him from the others in his trade? But if this is the case, WHO are Charles Thomson’s prosecutors then???
This made me study part 3 of the the Muzikfactory serial about Charles Thomson in more detail. Here are a few interesting examples I’ve found:
1) This is the kind way Muzikfactory speaks of Charles’ attitude towards Michael Jackson’s music:
- Motown founder said Michel is the “greatest entertainer that ever lived”. Michael’s undisputed contribution to music has been expressed by prominent worldwide artists. His music is embedded in world culture. I hardly think its your place to assess his artistic integrity! If you don’t like his music, simply don’t buy it. Why bemoan about it for 3 years and berate him? Who the hell are you, kid? When you were sperm, this man sold out the biggest album of all time.
- After all the bashing, you expect to make a name for yourself off of his back? If you were the keeper of such “saving grace” info, where were you when Michael was alive? Why doesn’t your non-MJ-related articles have as many views? You have been swinging at MJ and his fans under the guise of objectivity, I would be mindful before you go back to writing about restaurant hygiene!
Since this piece contains so much indignation the reader’s natural assumption would be that Charles Thomson doesn’t like Michael’s music at all and assesses his artistic integrity in a negative way. This surprised me, so I looked up Charles Thomson’s blog and see what I found in its October 2009 post there – the post is devoted to disproving the allegations of a gossip columnist Roger Friedman who said that Anka was a victim of ‘theft’ by Jackson with his This is it song. Charles Thomson says in this connection:
[Friedman] has now launched a bizarre assault on the King of Pop, stating that he was ‘not a great songwriter’ and baselessly claiming that he ‘often took credit for material that wasn’t his’.
The remarks would be offensive if they weren’t so hilarious.
Jackson was a phenomenal songwriter. During his adult career he wrote the majority of his own hits, including ‘Billie Jean’, ‘Beat It’, ‘Wanna Be Startin Somethin’, ‘Bad’, ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’, ‘Dirty Diana’, ‘Smooth Criminal’, ‘Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough’, ‘Black or White’, ‘Heal The World’ and many, many more. Not to mention the vast majority of the material on ‘Jacksons’ albums such as ‘Destiny’ and ‘Triumph’.
As for Friedman’s allegation that Jackson took credit for other people’s material – it is entirely without merit. It is true that Jackson was repeatedly sued by chancers who implausibly claimed that he had pinched their songs, but I cannot recall a single instance in which he did not win. Jackson meticulously documented his creative process, archiving demos and even dictaphone tapes into which he would sing and scat songs as they came to him”.
A PHENOMENAL SONGWRITER! Precisely! Besides the fact that I absolutely agree with Charles Thomson in his assessment of Michael Jackson’s phenomenal talent this paragraph convinced me that the ‘righteous anger’ we heard just several paragraphs earlier turned out to be nothing but a big-big LIE wrapped into a very clever packing.
It is like wrapping a package into a bright packing and persuading a customer to buy it just by telling him that it contains something valuable inside and not giving him a chance to look what it is.
In the same way when discussing Michael’s music the author doesn’t even stoop to tell us what the journalist actually said – the thunder of indignation fully replaces the whole story and makes us assume that he said something horrific about Michael’s music. Overwhelmed by the “righteousness of this anger” very few of us would take the trouble to look up Charles Thomson’s true words, because when the fury is so fierce and the indignation so ‘sincere’ this fact alone conveys to the reader a feeling that this kind of thunder may be the result of only some really awful and horrific words really told by the journalist about Jackson…
Why does the method sound so familiar to me? Where did I see it last? Well, only recently… with someone who was trashed without reason …. and no one really checked … because the indignation over some allegations was so righteous… and the goal looked so noble… yes, the victim was Michael Jackson! … so the same is being done to Charles Thomson now?
The only journalist who is supporting Michael against the media bias and is fearlessly fighting for Michael’s good name is being trashed now in the same way it was done to Michael himself?
Wait, but can it be some kind of a coincidence or misunderstanding between the parties? Let us look at what else these people say, for example, about other Michael’s supporters – just to double check our conclusions and make sure we didn’t make a mistake?
Miraculously the answer to this question is also found here, in the same 3d part of the Thomson serial by Muzifactory and you will never believe who else is not to the author’s liking same as Charles Thomson …. These people are not yet being victimized in the same ruthless way as Charles Thomson is, but what is absolutely clear is that they have already been nominated for the role and their turn will inevitably come. Let our Muzikfactory2 speak for herself:
- “Geraldine Hughes was the legal secretary of Barry Rothman – Evan Chandler’s attorney. She witnessed a set-up against Michael but instead of reporting her boss to the Bar or going to authorities to help Michael – an innocent man – she writes a book about it 10 years later”.
- “William Wagener is another opportunist who claims to have footage that would single handedly clear Michael’s good name if only fans would fundraise $5 million. If he had a valid business proposal, he would have had a sponsor”.
Now that it is clear what future is awaiting these two people let’s see what the author thinks about the need (or no need) to vindicate Michael Jackson and clear his name of all the dirt that stuck to it:
- “A father of 3 who was wronged his whole life is murdered and Conrad Money et al are getting away scotch-free and I don’t get the urgency of “clearing” MJ’s name rather than seeking justice for him. He is already cleared from ALL charges by a unanimous jury. Friends don’t need explanations, enemies won’t believe anyway. There are enough free sources out there that all an astute person with brain cells has to do is google. The desperation from MJ fans are leaving the door wide open to opportunists with less than genuine motives”.
Well, the only thing I can say to the above is that with friends like that Michael Jackson does not needs enemies…
Finally let us look again at the main topic of the blog to which the major part of the 3 part serial is devoted and the kind and exceptionally cordial way Charles Thomson is being treated by his opponent there:
- Charles, such a drama queen you are. I intended to post only 3 posts about you, hence Arthur Schopenhauer quote about 3 stages but your last drivel pleads a response.
- It was foolishly arrogant of you to think I opened this blog especially for you. I intended to blog for awhile but my youtube channel was keeping me busy. Since I deleted my youtube videos, I opened this blog to address phonies and it just happens that my first posts are about a duplicitous pseudo “journalist”.
- … You are a pseudo “journalist” who jumped on the gravy train. You wrote 2 articles about him AFTER his death yet you dub yourself an “expert in the life and times of Michael Jackson”. Michael and his music are so intricate that I doubt a 22 year old captured the essence. Not to mention, his articles mirror Aphrodite Jones’ hard work but he is happy to take the credit.
- … It’s my prerogative to express my opinion about your comments and conduct. It ruffles your feathers, too bad. Make your peace with it and try harder to handle it befitting of an “award winning journalist”.
- … How much did you sell your Omer Bhatti story to a tabloid? What was your motive “facilitating” Dieter Wiesner’s addict interview? What “sources” directed you to “squash rumours” that MJ was missing rehearsals when Karen Faye, MJ bodyguard, MJ followers….later Kenny Ortega, even Randy Phillips stated that he indeed missed rehearsals? What credentials did you have to be interviwed by TV stations on the night MJ died? Did you know Michael? What relationship warranted you to speak authoritively about him?
- ….There are couple of people whom I had to “set straight” awhile back. Apparently it still stings LOL What can I say, calling spade a spade makes enemies. These people are spreading lies about me that Charles and his lapdog Deborah French are propogandizing against me. I will not dignify every hater with a response…especially those I left behind for a reason.
And from the beginning of the post:
- …. All of my direct correspondences with you has been cordial. Fans have judged you without even asking you anything but I reached out to have a dialog with you. I didn’t hold a gun against your head for you to respond me.
- I asked if there was extenuating circumstances that prevented you to admit publically that you blogged LowlyNewsHound. I have never “threatened” you and If you claim so, publicize it! It was ME who requested that you express yourself without profanity. After I published my first blog post, it was ME who stated that we have no reason to communicate further but you kept writing me. So stop with the “bohoo she is harrassing me” babble.
* * *
You have my deepest sympathies on the misfortune that befell you.
I hope this malady won’t stop you from getting on with the great job you’ve been doing for Michael. Together we will surely overcome it. I truly hope that all other Michael’s fans will side with you and give you their full-hearted support without thinking twice. There is so much to do and no time to lose.
Could we pretend that this unpleasantness has just never happened, PLEASE?